Have you heard of of Earth Overshoot Day? It lands on August 22nd this year.
Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when humanity’s demand for ecological resources and services in a given year exceeds what Earth can regenerate in that year. (Earthovershootday.org)
Which means that from August 22nd 2020 we are living “on credit”…!
And as humans we have consumed 1 Earth. At country level, this date can change, for example France and Germany’s Overshoot Dates are in May and the USA is in March every year, meaning those countries consume resources of 2 to 3 Earths…
Did you know that young people around the world are very concerned about this topic?
- Climate Change is the most pressing concern of of people aged 18-25 around the world. (Daily Telegraph UK)
- 76% of Millennials consider a company’s social and environmental commitments when deciding where to work and 64% won’t take a job if a potential employer doesn’t have strong CSR practices (3BL).⠀
- 73% of Gen Z are willing to pay up to 10% more for sustainable brands (Bloomberg).⠀
At teams4purpose we believe that everyone can be a change agent to “move the date”. It’s possible to treat our home, Earth, with respect AND do business. But not business as usual, but a new type of business, a business of the 21st century, that understand it’s part of a whole system and that Sustainability makes business sense.
What you can do about Earth Overshoot Day
Here are ways you can take action at work an in your business (but also at home ad your community) to move the date and make sure we don’t “overshoot” Earth’s resources.
- Read Drawdown 101 — Climate Solutions
- Watch Our Planet Our Business – by WWF & Netflix Watch
- Check out the Solutions – Overshoot.org
- Take action for the SDGs – Good Life Goals
- Take action in your professional life Ideas and resources
- Engage your organization. Free Guide
Let us know what you are doing to move the date!
Activate Sustainability In Your Business
Do you need help to activate Sustainability in your business?
Book a free 60 minutes Sustainability Activation call with us:
- We will identify your key Sustainability objectives
- We work on actionable steps to integrate them in your business.
Image credit: morning-brew-yop on unsplash
#innovation #management #sustainability #leadership #businessforgood #purpose #SDG #purposefulbusiness #engagement #purposedrivenleadership #success #climateaction #resilience #corporatesocialresponsibility #positiveimpact #takeaction #sustainabilitymatters #businesstools #businessdevelopment #engagement #humanresources #genz #millenials #talentmanagement